Saturday, September 14, 2013


What?The Activity that I was given for Lab A was Aerobic Kickboxing.  The instant activity that I related to the main activity is called Ninja.  How the activity started was getting all the student's foot together, then eventually they would all jump off and each would have a turn to jump/tag the person that is next to them.  The person who is getting tagged can dodge from their tagger by jumping away from him/her, and then can jump again to tag their opponent.  It's almost like a game of knock out.  I gave them a visual that they were in ancient japan and before each student had to tag their opponent, they had to say their name + sama (Master in Japanese).  And while they were playing, I played a traditional Japanese song to set the mood.  The focus of this game in a way to simulate Aerobic Kickboxing was that it involved explosion with the whole body to attack one target.  One big cardinal rule I broke in this game was that I set the rules where if the students got tagged, they were out. 

GutI'm always excited to teach something to students especially if it's something I believe the students would enjoy very much but what I tend to do is lose a part of my professionalism.  I got the students to be excited and enjoy the game, and get their heart rates up, but I broke some more cardinal rules.  For the 1st Lab A, I didn't give out a safety statement, I said "guys" and a signal for attention.  The second activity, I did my safety statement and gave a signal for attention but I forgot to say my own name and my rules were a bit too long to explain.  I also made sure I said "class" in the beginning, but from then on I said guys again.  So overall, I feel that I got the energy, the creativity, the thing is I feel I need to balance it with my professionalism. 

SoWhat?The reason why it's bad to create a game where students get out is because it gets them inactive, causes boredom, and makes them more likely to be disinterested for the main activity.  I have to remind myself to not say "guys" in a class anymore because it is disrespectful and in a way it excludes the girls/women in class.  With my name, call for attention and safety statement, I should create an order to go by, that way I would less likely forget and it'll become a good habit.

NowWhat?Next time, I'll figure out a way to create either a point system or if someone is out, for someone else to save them so they can get back in the game rather than getting out for the whole game.  I would also practice for this whole semester to not say guys, inside and outside of class. I would also rehearse myself to do the activity but to emphasize the order from saying hello to my "class" to my "name" to explaining the game to "safety statement" to "calling for attention". 

Photo
  I'm in the middle watching my class have fun


 


This is me bringing up the instant activity game called Ninja

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gideon,
    I mentioned in another post that you created your own blog yet need to add your post to the class blog which is where we post the reflections. It makes it easier to see everyone's post. You can simply copy and paste your post into our blog. In order to get to our blog, you need to use your gmail you gave me: gideon.rauccicortland@gmail.com This is the gmail I used to make you an author. If you sign in with this email you should see our edu 255 blog -http://edu255.blogspot.com/
    About your reflection. You expressed your strengths and weaknesses. Under GUT you did not fully explain your feelings, saying I feel that I did this or that is not expressing your feelings. You may feel excitement or boredom or fear,... Under so what, you need to give an explanation to why you did certain things or why certain things happened. Once you give this explanation, you need to provide literature to back up your reasons.
    I think it is amazing how much energy you have and how excited you get when you teach. That is a great asset for a PE teacher! However, your excitement may get you to do a few things without really thinking about whether they would benefit the students in the right way. At times, take a break and evaluate what you are doing and if these are in line with the principles taught to you in class.
    I do not see if you did peer comments. if you did, let me know - show the links.
    Well done in your first lab, please let me know if you need help changing the post to the class blog.

    ReplyDelete